Sunday, February 11, 2007

L shapes


Last friday was a profitable intensive Go session: once again, after black ignoring my double-side approach to his 4-4 stone, I was given a familiar situation while playing as white..



There was something pumping in my head: ... this 6 space on the corner... he has to make two eyes... hey... that's familiar... I've seen this somewhere else... where?... there was something wrong with it...

... Black dies!!! The L shape dies!!!!


So you can guess the continuation. As you can see, this is a sort of L shape on the corner, and, by definition, the L shape is dead. There isn't a way to save it if white player plays properly. Here I let you try, there are only some black moves added and their respective white answers, in all cases black dies.
If it stops on "loading" it's because of the hosting service













These are some of the basic shapes which players have to learn to recognise, you'll find a deeper study and other shapes on the respective Sensei's section: Life and Death on Corner shapes. They appear from time to time on games, so it's better to recognise them and know the continuations to avoid what happened to me: I lost a couple of minutes reading the problem and re-reading it just-in-case I was mistaken.


Heading to London

On Wednesday 14th and for the first time in my life, I'll take a plane to London. I always wanted to go to England's main city, visit the British museum, lose myself in the Soho streets, Camdentown's market, speak with English-natives...
Where do you recommend me to go, related to Go? Go clubs?

Meanwhile don't expect me to post here, I hope you understand it, but I'll leave the comments "open" for anyone, so that you can post what you want. I'll delete what I dislike when I come back (spam and such things).

The comeback will be on Sunday evening, wait for my return!!

2 comments:

Juan Luis said...

Pretty useful tip, Alejo. I can say I didn´t know about that L-Shape on the corner, that dies every time... I will try.

Alejo said...

Try it!! You can check for more shapes on Sensei's Library.

Currently I don't know them all, but you'll find very useful tips there.