Monday, January 15, 2007

Moyo Go Studio for free

Finally, Moyo Go Studio, known as one of the best Go programs, has been released for free by the author. Currently it is only available for Windows and I still haven't tried so this is NOT a review and I can't tell if I'll make it work under Unix.

For the feature list I'd send you to the author's site, but here is a short list I extracted:
- Joseki, tesuji, fuseki and shape expert.
- Kombilo-style pattern search
- GnuGo client
- SGF editor
- Sql database system
- Export to Sensei's Library format
- Sensei's Library search
- Audio commentary

The limitations of the free product is that it lacks the 400.000 professional games database, there won't be updates or bug-fixes and the publishing/printing tool isn't available.

The download can be done through emule, bittorrent or direct download.
I've uploaded the file to a file hosting service so that we all have it for direct download instead of peer-to-peer. I just download the program from bittorrent at a 170 k/s ratio, which is just fine anyway. This is the address for the direct download:

http://hosted.filefront.com/alejostenuki/

Please, if you want to tell this link to anyone, refer them to the blog.


6 comments:

Alejo said...

Finally I got it running on Linux. I had to use Wine and add Mozilla Active X control.

The problem is my computer. This software requires a minimum amount of 512 Mb of RAM and my computer barely reaches 256. So, as you can see, trying to emulate a program in a computer with half the amount of the required memory won't get good results.

Maybe (just maybe) people with more powerfull computers might be able to make it work properly. I could check the menus of the program and some other things but I couldn't manage to open a board since the "Moyo Go Studio" banner got stucked in the middle of the window with lots of errors coming up.

Alejo said...

Now I've switched to Windows XP on the same computer.
I even couldn't manage to get it started because of the amounts of errors due to the lack of memory (I guess).
But I'm amazed about this: I could get it started on Linux emulating Windows and I couldn't on Windows! This means that emulating Windows system from Linux occupies far less resources than Windows itself!
Well, just wanted to show how wonderful windows is... and how bad the lack of memory can be...

Frank said...

Yes.. 256 MB is not enough, sorry.

The problem is that a 128 MB file needs to be loaded in memory, that is the file with 17 million patterns. It needs to access this file randomly, thousands of times/second. On top of that come a lot of data structures to be able to do lightning-fast searches.

I am also afraid that emulation might be a bit dodgy because Moyo Go Studio (three words :-) is 1.4 GLOC and it's very heavy on exotic WinAPI calls..

Alejo said...

Well, I know it isn't enough, but I could enter the menu and check some things in Linux (while emulating), and I couldn't do them from windows...

Frank said...

I have to admit that Windows sucks (especially x64 on a multi-CPU setup).

I am stuck with it for the moment, though..

tj said...

what happen to ur download files? i really want to try this.
tjburchfield@yahoo.com