Monday, January 29, 2007

Go lessons

I'd like to comment on a couple of resources, that appear on newspapers, I came up with:

-"Go lessons" by The Korean Times: an active source of go lessons covering from the very beginning to deeper concepts.
-"The magic of Go" by The Daily Yomiuri: a higher, deeper and complicated weekly column about go, packed with a couple of tsumegos, though you have to be keen on kifus to be able to read this one.

If after reading this you are still doubtfull about a specific move, ask yourself the "famous" 4 questions for beginners:
1.Do you have a weak group?
If yes, reinforce it.
2.Does your opponent have a weak group?
If yes, plan to attack it.
3.Can you make a big territorial move?
If yes, do it.
4.Could your opponent make a big territorial move or does s/he have a big territory?
Try to prevent, destroy or reduce it with appropriate measures.

If you still haven't checked the Sensei's page for beginners, give it a try!!
One last resource are Go books, which can be found easily on go shops or peertopeer programs, though I wouldn't recommend this for beginners... but this is just a personal opinion

2 comments:

Proximo said...

One more thing is see another's game and memorize the part that you are weaker. That's: you have problems in the beggining 'case don't know where is the best move, learn by heart a few begginings. The novices usually have similar mistakes

Proximo said...

I have read my previous commentary and I have seen that I have made enough orthographic errors. I hope it was understood.